Schools in the UK are known throughout the world for their high level of education, built on a unique combination of tradition and innovation in teaching. Prestigious educational institutions in England have a high rating on the world stage and attract a huge number of students from abroad, but the conditions for admission to UK schools for many remain incomprehensible and difficult. Note that for international students obtaining a certificate of secondary education in the United Kingdom opens up excellent prospects for admission to popular international universities and institutes not only in England and Europe but also in America, Canada or Australia.
For many parents, the key question remains – what benefits will their child receive when studying in the UK? The main advantages of UK schools for international schoolchildren include the following:
- Recognition of the secondary education diploma in most countries of the world
- Learning English at a high level
- Readiness for discoveries and knowledge
- Ability to rotate in an international environment
- Opportunity to live in a foreign country
- Developing feelings of responsibility and self-rule
- High rating of schools in the UK
- The best academic standards in the world
- Competent and professioanal teachers
- New experiences and meeting friends from all over the world.
Despite the fact that parents face certain difficulties and questions when choosing a school for a child, it is worth remembering that a prestigious foreign school can be a happy ticket to the successful future of your child!
5 nuances you need to know for successful admission to leading UK schools
1. Elite schools in England: what documents are required for admission?
The first step to entering a rating English school for foreigners is to prepare a package of documents. The current information on the required documents should be checked on the website of the selected school or with its official representatives. Below is a general list of documents for applicants to UK schools, including documents for school admissions Warwickshire:
- Report card for the last 2 years;
- Additional testing for knowledge of some school disciplines (their list depends on the chosen educational institution);
- Certificate of proficiency in English (IELTS or TOEFL);
- Awards for sports, artistic or scientific achievements;
- Recommendations from teachers;
- Motivation letter;
- Documents for obtaining a visa.
For schoolchildren and parents who want to try their hand at studying abroad, linguistic courses for children and adolescents for the summer will be an excellent choice because in this case the list of documents is reduced to a minimum. Summer vacation programs in the UK offer a wide range of language courses that take into account the various goals and interests of schoolchildren: traditional (study and recreation, held under the patronage of leading foreign schools and universities), adventure (allowing you to get to know the culture of the country better), as well as creative, sports and scientific. This option is ideal even for children with zero knowledge of the language! Academic programs with the study of English during the summer holidays are a chance to make summer rewarding and unforgettable for every child.
2. Submission of documents to the best schools in Britain and England: terms
UK rating schools take the deadlines for submission of documents seriously, so applicants should prepare in advance. Visit the official website of the school in England to check the information about the required documents and the deadline for their submission. Please note that despite a large number of private educational institutions in the country, the flow of international students is much higher, so many English schools are considering applicants on a competitive basis using a selective method. It means that all applicants pass entrance exams and interviews, according to the results of which their place in the list of applicants is determined.
Usually, documents are submitted online on the website of the selected school. Traditionally, documents for Warwick school admissions and other primary schools are accepted until January of the current year, and in the middle classes – until the end of October of the previous year. Schools with high international ratings can extend the application deadline to 2 years or more.
However, this does not mean that it is impossible to enter a British school. If you act in advance, then admission will not cause any problems.
3. Top UK schools and guardianship
One of the main features of obtaining school education in the UK is the obligatory presence of a guardian for minors, whose duration of study is more than 12 weeks and whose parents are not in the country. The duties of the guardian include a wide range of issues because he or she is the legal representative of the child in the country:
- Interacts with the school (attends parent meetings, monitors child progress, informs parents about emerging problems, etc.);
- Helps with organizational issues (for example, meets / sees off a child at the airport, buys stationery, helps to adapt to life in a new country, extends a visa, etc.);
- Has the right to make decisions and act on behalf of the child in emergency situations (treatment of the child, the decision to carry out operations, and much more).
The guardian is becoming an important part of the life of underage schoolchildren in the UK, so the choice of a representative should be taken seriously. The guardian can be a family friend or a candidate from a specialized agency providing guardianship services in England. A guardian in the UK is a guarantee that the child will not be left alone in a foreign country or lost in solving problems!
4. Leading educational institutions for children and adolescents: cost
Tuition fees are one of the factors that influence the choice of school. Prices for education in England are influenced by the selected educational institution, its reputation, study program, afterschool sections and entertainment. The approximate cost of getting an education in the UK is quoted by Warwickshire county council school admissions:
- Primary school – 6000 £ -8000 £ per term;
- Middle classes – 8500 £ -10500 £ per term;
- High school – £ 10,000-£ 12,000 per term.
The cost traditionally includes training according to the chosen program, study materials, accommodation, exams, some extracurricular activities, obtaining a certificate.
5. Summer vacation programs of English schools as the first step to admission
Many popular UK schools run summer preparation programs for international students. Children’s language schools and summer camps in the UK can be an excellent base for preparing a child for admission to an English school and for life abroad. During 2, 3 or 4-week courses, the child will have the opportunity to learn the UK culture, which will help him understand whether he or she wants to get an education in this country. Plus, it’s an amazing opportunity for every child to dramatically improve their English proficiency and have unique experiences and memories!